Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Lemon Pepper Cast Iron Skillet Pork Chops


Everyone on my news feed is talking about their Instant Pot recipes, but I'm still over here cooking every meal in my cast iron skillet. My newest creation are these Lemon Pepper Pork Chops. I love to bake most of my meals because it ends up being like a set it and forget it sort of process, and the cast iron skillet has become my best friend when it comes to roasted meats. Plus, every home probably already has an oven and cook-top, so no new fancy gadgets needed to cook this meal. 

Tonight will be the coldest night of the year in south Alabama (or at least I hope it doesn't get any colder than this), and I needed some good comfort food to make me feel better about all the ice and possible snow coming our way in the morning. Our inability to handle this kind of weather is so bad, the schools are closed all day tomorrow. The rest of the country is probably laughing at Alabamians right now, but we're ill-equipped to handle icy or even snowy roads. We only see snow about once every decade and we're excited...or scared depending on who you ask. Give us a break. I know one little boy who has prayed for snow since Christmas, and I am excited to see his reaction to the white stuff. J actually thought that it was supposed to snow on Christmas morning; I don't really know where he got that idea. He ran outside to check the ground before he ran to the Christmas tree to check his presents. His sweet little face was so confused when all he saw was brown grass. I am hoping we get a light dusting to make up for that moment of disappointment. 

We've also been battling colds all weekend in this house. Heading out for supper just wasn't an option, but an easy meal was necessary. So baked pork chops and rice it is! 

Ingredients:
4 center cut pork chops
1 lemon
2-3 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper
3 tbsps of butter

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375°  and place your cast iron skillet in the over to heat. Do not put a cold skillet into a hot oven. 

Salt and pepper your pork chops. Prepare the garlic cloves and slice the lemon in half. It helps to loosen the juices if you'll press and roll the lemon across the counter before you slice it. 

When your oven preheats, remove the skillet and place your seasoned pork chops evenly spaced around the skillet. Be sure not to crowd the meat; this way each chop will cook evenly. Squeeze each half of the lemon over the chops and then throw the lemon half in the pan, too. Slide your skillet back into the oven for 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your porkchops. I have the thick sliced, and it took closer to 45 minutes for mine. About ten minutes before the pork chops are done, toss a few tablespoons of butter into the skillet to melt and spoon it over the chops as they finish. 

Remove your skillet and place chops on a platter to rest for at least ten minutes before serving.

I served these with rice, gravy, and a quick tossed salad. 



I cooked the rice in our rice cooker...so easy! We use our rice cooker at least once a week. And the gravy was quick and easy in the same pan the pork chops were cooked in. Use the juices from the pork chops, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Place over medium-high heat and sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Whisk until all of the lumps of flour are gone and the roux simmers and "separates" in the bottom of the pan when stirred (picture below). When your roux is smooth and the flour has had a chance to cook down, about three minutes, lower the heat to medium-low and pour about 2 cups of chicken stock while whisking the mixture briskly. If the gravy seems too thick, add chicken stock until you reach the consistency you want.

Cast iron skillet cleaning used to be a scary task for me. I knew enough to know that doing it incorrectly would end up causing your skillet to stick, but I didn't actually know what the correct way to wash it was. I am also terrible at admitting that I don't know something that I should know, so rather than ask someone I just avoided my skillet at all costs. I didn't actually start using it until this year, and that is because I finally just asked my Memaw how to wash it. We were washing her dishes after our annual, obligatory, and very Southern New Year's Day meal. I got to the skillet and realized I had no idea how to clean it, so I asked her. Easy breezy.

All you need is a scrub cloth and hot water, if the food is too stuck for just a scrub cloth you can make a paste of salt and hot water. Don't use soap or steel wool as it will remove the pan's seasoning. I'll post about seasoning your pan later, but for now I am going to enjoy some after supper puzzle time with my J. 
'


  

After supper, we treated ourselves with the ice cream we made this past Sunday night. You can see that recipe here. I know y'all might think we're crazy to begin the coldest night of the year with ice cream, but this precious baby I am pregnant with has caused me to crave ice cream for weeks. And what baby wants, baby gets! 

I hope you enjoy the pork chops, but mostly I hope you enjoy the time eating it together around the table with your family. There is something so special about that time for us, and I hope to help make that time special for you guys too! 

Eat up, 
Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment